When Should You Replace the Timing Chain of Your Volvo?by techplusaadmin August 3, 2019
Volvos are the Swedish luxury brand of cars known for their reliability and stylish designs. They are dependable, easy to drive, and provide a smooth ride with an elegant touch of class. However, they are susceptible to normal wear-and-tear issues like any other luxury brand of vehicle. The timing chain is a component of the Volvo that will need proper maintenance and care. In this article, we will take a look at the difference between a timing chain and a timing belt, symptoms of its failure, and where to go for help if you are in need of timing chain repairs in your Volvo.
What is a timing chain?
The timing chain is a durable chain that helps keep the camshaft and crank in perfect unison and synchronization. This controls the pistons and valves in your Volvo’s engine. If the valves don’t open and close at the exact right time, your engine won’t work. The timing chain helps maintain this perfect synchronization, which is why it is such a vital component to your engine.
Is there a difference between a timing chain and a timing belt?
A timing belt and timing chain have the same function, but they are different in their strength. The timing chain in your Volvo is more durable and heavier than a timing belt. Many vehicles have timing chains instead of timing belts to provide more durability over time and less chance of a timing belt breaking, causing untoward damage to your engine.
What are the signs you need to change your timing chain?
● Metal shavings in your car’s oil is a clear indication your timing chain needs to be replaced. As the oil in your car heats up, it separates. During this time, the oil is exposed to natural solvents. These solvents are found in your car’s gasoline. As the timing chain wears due to using the car, tiny metal pieces break off. Once these pieces fall off, they fall into the oil pan. When this happens, you need to have your timing chain replaced immediately.
● Engine malfunction is another indication it’s time to replace your car’s timing chain. Your car may not start, or your car’s engine will fail while you’re driving. Don’t wait until the last minute to fix the timing chain.
● Your check engine light may illuminate. The check engine light can turn on for many reasons, but one of the reasons can be to warn you of a problem with the timing chain. When the check engine light is on, you need to visit a Volvo dealership as soon as possible to have them scan your car for trouble codes. These codes will tell Volvo mechanics what is causing your car to malfunction. Schedule an appointment as soon as the check engine light comes on.
● Engine misfire can occur for more than one reason, including an issue with your car’s timing chain. During engine misfire, you will feel your car hesitate to start. It may start on the second or third try, but driving it in this precarious state is dangerous to you and other drivers on the road. It is important to take your vehicle in for inspection as soon as you can.
● A rattling engine is a sound you should never ignore. Your car’s engine should have a smooth, consistent sound. Unusual sounds from an engine mean there’s a problem. A loose timing chain creates a vibration in the motor. When your car’s engine idles, you may hear a rattling noise, leading you to suspect a problem with your timing chain.
How can Tech Plus Automotive help?
Volvos are Swedish luxury vehicles that require top-of-the-line automotive specialists to repair any issues and provide proper maintenance. Here at Tech Plus Automotive, we are dedicated to providing outstanding service with a smile. We proudly serve Phoenix, Paradise Valley, McCormick Ranch, and Scottsdale, AZ.
If your Volvo is giving you a problem, we are happy to help. We offer comfortable waiting facilities and offer a variety of services that pertain specifically to Volvo vehicles. We understand how frustrating it can be to be without a vehicle, which is why we offer quick and reliable services. Call us or visit us today to have your Volvo repaired or maintained.
- Get a Computerized Alignment for Your Acura in Scottsdale
- Your Choice Repair Center for Your Porsche’s Broken Coil Springs in Scottsdale
- Ways to Identify Transmission Issues in a Volvo
- Importance of Having a Vehicle During A Pandemic
- Reasons for Knocking Sounds from Your Lexus’ Brake Actuator from the Experts in Scottsdale
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2010